Human Resources Assistant
|March 19, 2014 - May 31, 2014|
|Location:||San Diego, CA|
|Benefits:||Comprehensive Benefits Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||If you are interested in inspiring hope through service and providing individuals and families with the tools to improve their quality of life, than Volunteers of America is the place for you! |
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Human Resources Generalist, the Human Resources Assistant assists with providing the following services: recruitment, employment, benefits, orientation, file management, human resources information, data entry, applicants screening reference checks and report preparation. The HR Assistant works with Payroll to coordinate benefits and salary administration, along with employee entry and exits from the Human Resources Information System.
|Duties:||1. Monitors completion of performance evaluation process using a checklist, sends reminders for overdue and incomplete evaluations and coordinates with payroll to provide merit increase status changes in a timely way. |
2. Monitors the submission of Open Enrollment materials from employees, sending reminders for over due materials and checking forms for completeness. Coordinates with payroll to point out changes to benefits for entry into the HRIS and the carrier websites.
3. Receives vacancy requests, verifying that the job description on file is current or obtaining the updated description. Prepares recruitment advertising, coordinates posting on Iapplicants and places ad in other locations. Checks vacancy against budgeted position code and enters it on the request for the position.
4. Reviews, screens and forwards applications and resumes of qualified applicants for open positions to Program Managers, Supervisors or Department Managers, as requested.
5. Checks references on candidates for managers, as requested.
6. Prepares new employee files, checking each one for completeness and filing additional information as it arrives.
7. Checks driving record with underwriters to determine whether employees can drive our or their vehicles on company business. Prepares and provides monthly reports to managers and COO on updated driving records.
8. Provides new employee information to our COBRA TPA and checks the I-9 information against EVerify to ensure the employee is authorized to work.
9. Verifies employment upon request, and with proper authorizing materials signed by the employee.
10. Participates in salary and benefits surveys.
11. Assists with scheduling, coordination, preparation and presentation for New Employee Orientation and other training presented to all employees.
12. Maintains list of employees who become eligible for benefits and sends materials to the managers for employees to complete.
13. Generates congratulatory letters monthly to staff for anniversaries for CEO signature. Orders pins and rings for significant anniversaries.
14. Assists with organization of HR historical and reference information.
15. Coordinates dissemination of Human Resources information to program sites to meet regulatory requirements.
16. Arranges for exit interviews with employees leaving the organization, coordinating with Payroll to process the departure in the HRIS in terms of salary and benefits.
17. Follows up with managers to post positions that become vacant due to resignations or terminations.
18. Coordinates with the TPA for COBRA administration to notify them of departing employees who were eligible for benefits.
19. Disassembles and moves files from active to terminated section for departing employees.
|Qualifications:||1. One to three (1-3) years experience in the HR field and a Bachelorís Degree in Human Resources Management or a similar combination of education and experience. |
2. Intermediate level skills in Excel and Word software use.
3. Experience with Human Resources Information system (HRIS) software preferred.
4. Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills. Attention to detail is essential.
5. Must have ability to read, write and speak in English. Bilingual in Spanish helpful.
6. Must have the ability to read, comprehend, give and follow instructions.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.